SAN ANTONO, TX (July 9, 2019) SAFILM-San Antonio Film Festival announced the official selections for the 25th Anniversary celebration at the Tobin Center for the Performing Arts, July 30 – August 4, honoring SILVER Screen Legends: Cybill Shepherd, Cheech Marin & Jackie Earle Haley. In addition to over 100 short, documentary and feature length films from around the world, the 2019 Festival will also feature FREE Hollywood Insider panels, celebrity meet & greets, filmmaker socials, exclusive after parties, awards ceremony & more!
To kick-off six-days of SILVER Anniversary festivities, SAFILM partners with the city of San Antonio, a UNESCO Creative City of Gastronomy for Little Bites: SAFILM Food Film Festival on Tuesday, July 30 at the Culinary Institute of America.
The red carpet rolls out Opening Night, Wednesday, July 31 for actor Alex Wolff’s (Hereditary, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle) directorial debut and the U.S. Premiere of THE CAT AND THE MOON, starring Wolff, Skyler Gisondo, Mike Epps and Stefania LaVie Owen. Alex Wolff is confirmed to attend. Cheech Marin (Cheech & Chong) will be presented with a Lifetime Achievement Award by Gary Gibbs, Ph.D., Executive Director of the Texas Commission on the Arts, followed by THE CHEECH, short documentary exploring Marin’s lifelong advocacy of the Chicano Art Movement. THE MARGARITA MAN, directed by Daniel Ramos, will also screen, starring Pepe Serna, Danny Trejo and Jesse Borrego.
2019 Festival Spotlight Films include:
- I AM PATRICK SWAYZE, World Premiere, directed by Adrian Buitenhuis and produced by Network Entertainment’s award-winning filmmaker Derik Murray, starring Demi Moore, Rob Lowe, Sam Elliott, C. Thomas Howell, Jennifer Grey, Don Swayze and Lisa Niemi. Director Adrian Buitenhuis, Swayze’s wife, Lisa Niemi & member of the cast are scheduled to attend for Q&A post-screening
- BEING ROSE starring Cybill Shepherd, recipient of the 2019 Marcia Nasatir Award, confirmed to attend
- THE PEANUT BUTTER FALCON, San Antonio Premiere, starring Shia LaBeouf, Dakota Johnson, Bruce Dern, John Hawkes and Thomas Haden Church
- LITTLE CHILDREN, retrospective screening with Legacy Award recipient, Jackie Earle Haley
- STUNTWOMEN: THE HOLLYWOOD UNTOLD STORY, World Premiere, directed by April Wright producer Marion Rosenberg (The Deer Hunter, Revolutionary Road) both confirmed to attend, starring Michelle Rodriguez, Zoe Bell, Michelle Jubilee Gonzalez, Jesse Graff, Amy Johnston
- TEENAGE GIRL: VALERIE’S HOLIDAY, World Premiere, starring local San Antonio break-out stars: Valeria Jauregui(Deputy TV series) and Paulina Chavez (Netflix series: The Expanding Universe of Ashley Garcia)
- ERNIE & JOE documentary by Jennifer McShane, following two San Antonio Texas Police officers fighting mental health, one 911 call at a time.
“We’ve been watching movies now for 25 years!” exclaims Adam Rocha, Founder and Executive Director of SAFILM. “What an incredible feeling to head into this milestone year and reflect on how far we’ve come,“ reminisces Rocha, who spends his festival off-season educating high school students in film & media production. “We started out as this underground, indie-movie night that has grown into a weeklong red carpet event. Now we have Hollywood A-listers sharing their expertise with the next generation of filmmakers, right here in San Antonio.”
SAFILM brings back the FREE Hollywood Insider Series featuring top professionals and experts in the film business. Scheduled to attend are San Antonio native, Studio Executive & Hollywood Producer, Marcia Nasatir (The Big Chill, Rocky, Apocalypse Now); Davy Liu, Animator for Disney’s The Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast; Director and Editor Anne Goursaud(known as Editor: The Outsiders, Bram Stoker’s Dracula); and A.P. Gonzalez, UCLA Film Professor and Writer/Director (The Wetback, Clay Farmers).